On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM,  <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM,  <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ordering.

> avoid

> in

> about
> >>
> >> changing the names doesn't make it easier to understand.
> >> I think the confusion is because the new A and K refer to existing
> memory
> >>

> I disagree, I think it's confusing, but I have evidence, and that is
> that four out of four of us tested ourselves and got it wrong.
>
> Perhaps we are particularly dumb or poorly informed, but I think it's
> rash to assert there is no problem here.

I got all four correct.  I think the concept --- at least for ravel --- is
pretty simple: would you like to read the data off in C ordering or Fortran
ordering.  Since the output array is one-dimensional, its ordering is
irrelevant.

I don't understand the 'Z' / 'N' suggestion at all.  Are they part of some
pneumonic?

I'd STRONGLY advise against deprecating the 'F' and 'C' options.  NumPy
already suffers from too much bikeshedding with names --- I rarely am able
to pull out a script I wrote using NumPy even a few years ago and have
it immediately work.

Cheers,
Brad