On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Bradley M. Froehle
<brad.froe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> I disagree, I think it's confusing, but I have evidence, and that is
>> that four out of four of us tested ourselves and got it wrong.
>>
>> Perhaps we are particularly dumb or poorly informed, but I think it's
>> rash to assert there is no problem here.

I think you are overcomplicating things or phrased it as a "trick question"

ravel F and C have *nothing* to do with memory layout.
I think it's not confusing for beginners that have no idea and never think
about memory layout.
I've never seen any problems with it in statsmodels and I have seen
many developers (GSOC) that are pretty new to python and numpy.
(I didn't check the repo history to verify, so IIRC)

Even if N, Z were clearer in this case (which I don't think it is and which
I have no idea what it should stand for), you would have to go for every
use of ``order`` in numpy to check whether it should be N or F or Z or C,
and then users would have to check which order name convention is
used in a specific function.

Josef