Hi,

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM,  <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM,  <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> So far the consensus is that the documentation needs improvement.
>>
>> The only thing all of the No camp agree with is documentation
>> improvement, I think that's fair.
>>
>>> After that ???
>>
>> Well I think we have:
>>
>> Flat-no - the change not important, almost any cost is too high
>
> It's not *any* cost, this goes deep and wide, it's one of the basic
> concepts of numpy that you want to rename.

The proposal I last made was to change the default name to 'layout'
after some period to be agreed - say - P - with suitable warning in
the docstring up until that time, and after, and leave 'order' as an
alias forever.

The only problem I can see with this, is that if someone, after period
P, does not read the docstring, and uses 'layout' instead of 'order',
then they will find that their code is not backwards compatible with
versions of numpy of greater age than P. They can fix this, forever,
by reverting to 'order'.  That's certainly not zero cost, but it's not
much cost either, and the cost will depend on P.

> Note, I'm just a user of numpy
> My main objection was to "N" and "Z", which would have affected me
> (and statsmodels developers)

Right.

> I don't really care about the "layout" change. I have no or almost no
> code depending on it. And, I don't have to implement it, nor do I have
> to struggle with the low level numpy behavior that would be affected
> by this. (And renaming doesn't change the concept.)

No, right, the renaming is to clarify and distinguish the concepts.

Cheers,

Matthew