On 02/07/14 19:55, Chris Barker wrote:

> Indeed -- the default (i.e what you get with pip install numpy) should
> be SSE2 -- I":d much rather have a few folks with old hardware have to
> go through some hoops that n have most people get something that is
> "much slower than MATLAB".

I think we should use SSE3 as default. It is already ten years old. Most
users (99.999 %) who want binary wheels have an SSE3 capable CPU.

According to Wikipedia:

AMD:
Athlon 64 (since Venice Stepping E3 and San Diego Stepping E4)
Athlon 64 X2
Athlon 64 FX (since San Diego Stepping E4)
Opteron (since Stepping E4)
Sempron (since Palermo. Stepping E3)
Phenom
Phenom II
Athlon II
Turion 64
Turion 64 X2
Turion X2
Turion X2 Ultra
Turion II X2 Mobile
Turion II X2 Ultra
APU
FX Series

Intel:
Celeron D
Celeron (starting with Core microarchitecture)
Pentium 4 (since Prescott)
Pentium D
Pentium Extreme Edition (but NOT Pentium 4 Extreme Edition)
Pentium Dual-Core
Pentium (starting with Core microarchitecture)
Core
Xeon (since Nocona)
Atom

If you have Pentium II, you can build your own NumPy...

Sturla