Hi,

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.mol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/07/14 19:55, Chris Barker wrote:
>

>> Indeed -- the default (i.e what you get with pip install numpy) should
>> be SSE2 -- I":d much rather have a few folks with old hardware have to
>> go through some hoops that n have most people get something that is
>> "much slower than MATLAB".
>

> I think we should use SSE3 as default. It is already ten years old. Most
> users (99.999 %) who want binary wheels have an SSE3 capable CPU.

The 99% for SSE2 comes from the Firefox crash reports, where the large
majority are for very recent Firefox downloads.

If you can identify SSE3 machines from the reported CPU string (as the
Firefox people did for SSE2), please do have a look a see if you can
get a count for SSE3 in the Firefox crash reports; if it's close to
99% that would make a strong argument:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/Windows-versions#sse--sse2
https://gist.github.com/matthew-brett/9cb5274f7451a3eb8fc0

Cheers,