On 3/17/2011 12:17, Arjen de Korte wrote:
This patch (committed after 2.6.0 was released) claims to restore
2.4.1 behavior:

http://trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/changeset/2893

All of the above are irrelevant here. The driver runs fine when started as root, so this must be a permissions problem.
The original problem that r2407 addressed (which I also experienced) manifested similarly, in that running as root it would work, running as non-root it would not. I don't know enough about usb/libusb to have any clue why that would be, but it was.

So I tried applying the diff from r2893 to the Debian nut 2.6.0-1 source package and building that, and lo and behold it now works as non-root! Also, when running as root before, it spat out a lot of warnings while fetching the reports, now it spits out none. While I didn't really understand the warnings before, I'd assume that not generating them is a sign of things working better.

Given that there doesn't seem to have been a new release of libusb0 in something like four or five years, then if this really does need to be fixed at the libusb level, I suspect the first thing that will have to happen is nut moving to libusb1.