Le Mercredi 16 Août 2006 17:18, Sami Siren a écrit :
> Lukas Vlcek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have almost no experience with maven subprojects but somehow I feel
> > this could help us with Nutch plugins. Am I correct?
> > In maven we can always call ant goals as well and Jelly is a fun to
> > use. With maven one of the biggest benefit would be that eclipse (or
> > other IDE) classpath settings hell will be over which could help naive
> > users (like me) a lot.
> >
> > (and silently I hope that what I have said now holds for M2 too)
>
> Just for clarification when I was talking about maven I meant maven 2,
> maven 1 is a dead end.
Hi,

I am an outsider too, but my experience with maven 2 was not as awful as
expected. The problem with maven is that you would depend enormously of the
repository service. If it's down, just hope that you have download everything
before, otherwise you have to wait until it's up again. Two or three month
ago, the main repositories were down, and even more, one was corrupted
(because of a disk failure or something like that, I don't remember). So our
team of 5 people lost 3 days...
The ASF Cocoon project has mooved to maven and now the README explains that :
> Build times will vary dramatically depending on how good your connectivity
> to the Maven repository/mirror is, and how well it performs, and on whether
> you already have a loaded local Maven repository. A full build can take
> from 5 minutes to maybe 4 hours...
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/README.txt?view=markup

Now, for our ex-maven2ish project, we use a combinaison of ant tasks and ivy
for the dependencies (http://jayasoft.org/ivy). The difference between maven
and ivy is that ivy runs completely offline, and maven download only on
demand. So if you do a svn up on your project, you probably immediately want
to do a mvn install to download every dependencies. But you also should run
every maven task before getting offline : maven jetty6:run, maven source:jar,
maven deploy...

As I said, I am a completely outsider, I am not a Nutch user, just a Lucene
user that read sometimes this dev list to read some interesting discussion
about "search". I just wanted to add my unlucky maven user experience.

Here are some notes about Sylvain, one of my coworker that had some trouble
with maven :
http://bluxte.net/blog/2006-05/21-25-04.html
http://bluxte.net/blog/2006-06/30-32-27.html

Nicolas