I looked from 7:50 to 8:50 this morning and from 10:30 to 1:15 without any
sightings or hearings of the BBWD.  Three others also looked at times during
the same period and did not have it.  If it is there, this is one very
frustrating bird.  I have to wonder if the use of recordings may have
something to do with this bird's behavior.  I have not seen anyone play a
recording during my 11 hours at the site but I know that others have.  Is it
possible for a bird to be this intimidated by hearing (but not seeing)
another of its own kind that it stays out of sight most of the time?
Perhaps this is just speculation by a frustrated whistling-duck searcher.

Some things I did see at the location were a family of Common Moorhens,
Virginia Rail, Sora, American Bittern, Black-crowned Night-Herons, Bald
Eagle, several Osprey, Caspian Tern, and several Bobolinks and Purple
Martins overhead.
DIRECTIONS:
The BBWD was on NY 77, in a roadside marsh about 200 yards northwest of the
Cayuga Pool Overlook (Iroquois NWR). NY 77 is a north-south highway that
travels NW in the area of the refuge.  Thus, the reason for the sometimes
confusing directions.  In any case, if you are heading north on Rt 77,
Iroquois NWR and Cayuga Pool overlook are on your right and Tonawanda WMA is
on your left.  Note that there is an exit for Rt 77 from the NYS Thruway.
The duck was on the Tonawanda WMA side of the road and likes to stay hidden
in the cattails.
Good birding and stay safe out there.  The trucks really move through the
area.
Willie
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter