Hi all,

This afternoon, Mary Beth Billerman and I took a trip down to West End to
see what shorebirds we could turn up.  It was approaching high tide, and
between the tide and the people on the island, there were no shorebirds
evident on the small island by the Coast Guard Station.  We then went to the
swale on the south side of West End 2 parking lot.  With the rising tide,
shorebirds continued to fly into the swale.  We eventually found the
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER that Doug had found earlier in the day.  It was
foraging actively the entire time we were there, mostly at the south end of
the swale, moving back and forth between the southeast corner and the
southwest corner of the swale.  Also present were about 160 Semipalmated
Plovers, mostly adults (but with some juveniles), 40 Semipalmated Sandpipers
(again, mostly adults, but with at least 3 juveniles), 10 Sanderlings
(adults) 1 Least Sandpiper, 1 Greater Yellowlegs (flyover), and 1
Black-bellied Plover (flyover).  Also foraging in the swale were 3 Horned
Larks.

The Buff-breasted Sandpiper was present during our entire stay of about 2
hours, but was at times out of view.

On our way home along Wantagh Parkway, a Merlin flew over our car moving
south.

Good birding,

Shawn Billerman