We sometimes get odd birds showing up out on Great Gull Island, the American
Museum of Natural History's tern research station at the mouth of Long Island
Sound.  On Friday, June 24, a female Summer Tanager made a brief appearance.
The only reference book I have out here is the 1974 Birds of New York State by
John Bull.  Bull doesn't list any summer records for Summer Tanager after early
June.  I don't know if there have been late-June records since that time.

Joe DiCostanzo