From: bounce-37883411-13703...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-37883411-13703...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:05 AM
To: NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu
Subject: [nysbirds-l] nysbirds: Gray-hooded Gull at Coney Island: origin

All,

  I am a bit surprised that the origin of this bird has not been discussed
much.   With people coming from a long distance, I think it ought to be
mentioned more than it has been.

  Has this bird arrived here on its own, or was it assisted?  How can we
know?

  Many people are concerned with listing questions, so the issue of origin
is important to them.   Of course, many others are not, so it may be less
important to them.   Scientifically, it is an interesting question.

  The email below from Ken Gale suggests that it accompanied some Laughing
Gulls from Brazil.  That is certainly possible.  But it has evidently never
happened before, anywhere on the heavily birded East coast.  Where is the
pattern of vagrancy for this species?  Is not a ship-assist quite likely?

   I am reminded of two other very rare species of gulls that first visited
eastern North America in the last fifteen years or so:  Black-tailed Gull
and Kelp Gull.  Both species had previously established vagrancy patterns
that made their appearance in eastern North America at least reasonable.
Here is a link to the Maryland records committee decision (favorable) on the
famous Kelp Gull at Sandgates in southern Maryland:

    <http://www.mdbirds.org/mddcrc/pdf/kegudec.pdf>
http://www.mdbirds.org/mddcrc/pdf/kegudec.pdf

  I don't presume to know the answer in the present case of the Grey-hooded
Gull.  I too made the trek to Coney Island to see it.  But it was for me a
"mere" odious drive through Queens of an hour.  Some people are evidently
coming from  much farther.

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY