The MTA has a "Trip Planner" on its site - http://mta.info/ - that is quite
good.  Enter your starting point Penn Station, Grand Central Terminal) and
destination (Coney Island/Stillwell Avenue) and it comes back with
itineraries and approximate travel time for the day and time you intend to
travel.  One of the best parts of travelling by subway is that the trains to
Coney Island are elevated and outside a good portion of the way.

Note:  Weekends are very dicey.  Due to construction, there are planned
service changes and this can add considerably to your travel time.  Last
Saturday, I took the D to Coney Island and it took forever because the train
was sharing a track with 2 other lines in Brooklyn. Looks like this week
it's the opposite - D okay on the way to Coney Island but rerouted coming
back into Manhattan. Do look at the Planned Service Changes if you are
intending to go on the weekend.

The Q also stops in Brighton Beach which is east of Coney Island and much
quieter if you're actually looking for some beach time.  Or a Russian
restaurant in lieu of Nathan's.  A walk of about a mile along the boardwalk.
The B train terminates at Brighton Beach but only runs Monday through
Friday.