Hi everyone,
I thought some of you may be interested in a paper that appears in
PLoS Biology, a peer-reviewed open-access journal published by the
Public Library of Science. Our hope is that this paper shows some of
the ways the birding community has shaped our thinking about citizen
science and helped build eBird to where it is today--now gathering
over 3 million records of birds each month. By combining literally
millions of records from around the world we are able to visualize and
understand migration in ways we only fantasized about a few years ago.
I encourage you to check out the White-throated Sparrow map, which
shows details of breeding, winter and migration that still amaze me --
and I look at this stuff everyday!
Since PLoS Biology is an open access journal, anyone can access this
paper for free at the following link:
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1001220
Most importantly, thanks to the thousands of people who use eBird who
make this possible and inspire us to do all we can to make it better.
If you don't use eBird, check out the article anyway. And maybe we can
help you with your New Years Resolution. :)
Please feel free to share this with others.
Thanks. Good eBirding. And Happy Holidays.
Best,Chris Wood
eBird & Neotropical Birds Project LeaderCornell Lab of Ornithology,
Ithaca, New Yorkhttp://ebird.orghttp://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu