Interesting.

Will Raup

Albany, NY

 To: midhudsonbi...@yahoogroups.com
From: davidtran...@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:56:45 +0000
Subject: [MidHudsonBirds] GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCH   Black Dome Mt near Windham,
NY

      While hiking today in the Blackhead mountains, a friend asked me "what's
this bird that just flew off the trail?" The bird in question was a finch sized
bird with an unmistakable brownish pink hue, gray and black crown and bright
pink of the belly and wings; a Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch! I was speechless for a
moment, thinking at any second it would fly off, and surely no one would
believe me! After watching it for a few minutes, I was able to WALK DIRECTLY
UNDER THE BIRD, which was perched only 15' off the ground, and get to a place
where I could take a picture that showed enough detail to be identifiable. It
appears to be an adult of the interior race, and seemed to be waiting until we
left so it could go back to feeding on the ground on the trail. I'll upload a
few pictures to the group as soon as I can. The bird was near the peak of Black
Dome, about 3800' in elevation. It stayed (silent) in the same area for about
15 minutes as we watched and photographed it. The photos, while not great, are
diagnostic. The exact coordinates it was observed at are: 42 degrees 16.191'N,
74 degrees 07.361'.

David Rankin

Accord, NY

Also, if anyone could forward this to the NY listserv, that'd be great.

    __._,_.___

          Reply to sender |

          Reply to group |
                Start a New Topic

                Messages in this topic
          (1)

      Recent Activity:

    Visit Your Group

      To visit the Mid-Hudson Birds web site go to:

Post message: midhudsonbi...@yahoogroups.com

Subscribe:  midhudsonbirds-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

      MARKETPLACE

                        Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the
page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

  .