Early this morning Heydi Lopes relocated the Grasshopper Sparrow in Prospect
Park. It was still feeding on seeds along the sidewalk opposite the Quaker
Cemetery at the edge of the Nethermead Meadow. Peter Dorosh reported that it
was still present as of approximately 3pm.

I spent the entire day birding in Green-Wood Cemetery where there was a decent
showing of birds. Juncos seemed to be just about everywhere, with smaller
numbers of Chipping Sparrows. I probably don't need to mention that siskins
were pervasive. The cemetery usually doesn't see many Red-winged Blackbirds,
but there were many flocks moving through today with a single Rusty Blackbird
seen at the Dell Water. We also spotted a single Lincoln's Sparrow and a pair
of White-crowned Sparrows. The buteo flight was considerably less than
yesterday, although there were still decent numbers of Red-tailed Hawks and
Red-shouldered Hawks moving through the area. From our hawkwatch on Battle Hill
we also observed a single juvenile Bald Eagle. After lunch Heydi and I decided
to focus our efforts on an area in the cemetery called "The Flats", where there
is a very good concentration of mature conifers. Near "The Valentine Angel" we
heard, then spotted, a flock of 30 White-winged Crossbills. They settled
briefly at the top of a spruce tree, then moved across the road leap-frogging
along the tops of a few other conifers. They eventually looped back to the
North, where we lost sight of them.

Despite a loss of 100 or more trees from the hurricane, Green-Wood Cemetery is
still the best location in the borough for healthy, mature conifers. I plan on
spending a lot of time there this season looking for irruptive species. I'll
keep you posted.

Good birding,

Rob

http://citybirder.blogspot.com