From: rada...@msn.com

Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:57:40 -0500

With thanks to Tom Burke et al for finding/posting the Ponquogue Bridge Western
Grebe this afternoon. Because this has only been the 2nd time I've been in the
field since a week before Christmas, coupled with Ken Fuestel's post of both
crossbill species at Cupsogue Co. Pk. this AM, today promised to be a good
one...and it was  Upon arrival, I found Anthony Collerton heading for the area
that Shai Mitra & Pat Lindsay were just leaving, after having seen the bird.
They suggested walking on to Ken Fuestel's location, for the best looks
possible. Ken put us right on the grebe, which because of my recent inactivity,
strangely became my first grebe species of the year.
Heading west toward Cupsogue (while on bittern patrol) I did see 2 Great Egrets.
After checking every pine-tree west of the parking lot (as well as those in the
parking lot)  I remain "crossbill-less", in this season of impressive numbers.
Nevertheless, I would like to thank Ken for the much-needed hour of physical
exercise !
My luck changed however, while stopped for the red light at the intersection of
Middle Rd .& Northville Tpke., Riverhead. As 3 birds passed fairly low
overhead, their "jizz" and size differences marked them as geese, 2 canadas and
1 cackling.
A friend's letter I recently received contained an undated news article which
appeared in The Naples News, pertaining to the unprecedented numbers of
razorbills in Florida's waters this winter. First reported from the state's
northern coast on Dec.10, they have now been reported down the entire eastern
seaboard, around the tip, and up the Gulf Coast to the "Panhandle". As evidence
of this phenomenon, the article notes the 600 razorbills seen by birdwatchers
off Miami on a single day, when, prior to this season, there had been only 14
of this species recorded in all of Florida's history. It is theorized that the
lack of food at it's normal wintering grounds is the prime reason for this
alcid's deep southerly sojourn, with super- storm Sandy being a major cause of
this condition by tearing through the marine food chain. Another factor given
for this unusual migration, is the banner breeding season enjoyed by this
species, whose young make up the majority of the birds mentioned.
Rehabilitation clinics have reported that many razorbills have been found dead,
with those  arriving alive, in emaciated and weak condition.
Cheers,Bob