Hi Bob, All,

The Razorbill trend in the southeast is definitely intriguing,
unprecedented, and perhaps alarming. For anyone interested, the
ornithologists over at eBird and BirdCast have tried to make sense of this
as well, concluding that the cause may be atypically warmer sea
temperatures in Razorbills' usual core wintering range that have disrupted
the normal patterns of occurrence of their prey and made those waters
unproductive.

Here are links to those articles:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/razorbills-invade-florida
http://birdcast.info/forecast/razorbills-invade-florida/

As they note, it's definitely interesting how species of many different
families and widely different life histories are making southerly movements
this winter. Coincidence?

Good birding,
Benjamin Van Doren
White Plains, NY