On Sunday (2/23), Tim Dunn, Pete Morris, and myself (John Gluth) made the trip up to Orange County to see the birds reported over the past few weeks throughout the Black Dirt Region (BDR).

Before heading for the BDR, we made two preliminary stops. We began in River Vale, NJ, hoping to see a staked-out BARRED OWL in the woods behind the home of a Dunn family friend. The owl obliged, providing nice looks sitting within a large cavity in a snag--apparently a favored roost. From there we headed back into NY, making for Storm King mountain where wintering Golden Eagles had been seen within the last 2-3 weeks. Sadly, they did not make an appearance for us, the only disappointment of the day. But 2-3 Common Ravens, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, a few Turkey Vultures and Red-tailed Hawks, and 1 flyover Killdeer were seen. Not long after leaving Storm King, near the 9W/293 interchange, we spotted 4 Bald Eagles soaring fairly low over a nearby hill, necessitating a roadside stop. Another such stop was influenced by 3 Black Vultures soaring over Route 6 just east of exit 130.

Finally arriving in the BDR, a prolonged stop was made along Route 25 (Pumpkin Swamp Road), where 8-10 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS were observed (5-6 light-morph, 3-4 dark), as well as several Red-tailed Hawks and 1-2 N. Harriers. One Rough-legged was observed to capture and consume a small rodent within 150' of the road. On our way to the first of two visits to Walkill NWR along Oil City Road, we investigated Indiana Road and Skinner Lane, and got waylaid along Route 6 by 4-5 more Rough-legged Hawks, 1 American Kestrel, 1 Ring-necked Pheasant, and a flock of ~20 Snow Buntings. The first stop at Oil City Road produced a single SHORT-EARED OWL (~3:30), perched low a few hundred yards north of the road (beyond the observation tower), first spotted by the sharp eyes of Pete Morris. Due to distance and heat shimmer there was some debate between the three of us as to what species of raptor it actually was, which lasted until the bird did us the favor of taking off and flying around for ~30 seconds, confirming Pete's ID. Other notable sightings included several more Rough-legged and Red-tailed hawks, and a flock of 5 Killdeer, calling as they flew south into NJ.

We then resumed the auto tour, driving Pine Island Turnpike, Route 12, Turtle Bay Road, and Missionland Road. Notable finds during this effort were 1 CACKLING GOOSE among hundreds of Canada geese--which included a bird that looked like a normal Canada in every respect except for dilute pigmentation of the upperparts (back)--all feeding in stubble fields west of Turtle Bay Road; a mixed flock of sparrows (including 4 Am. Tree) feeding along the edge of Route 12; 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR among a flock of 25-30 Horned Larks along Missionland Road; and 5 E. BLUEBIRDS at the corner of Gurda Lane and Liberty Corners Road.

We finished the day back at Walkill NWR as dusk approached. We had to wait until almost 6:00 before the first of 5-6 Short-eared Owls emerged and began to hunt, too dark for photos or even video (at least with my camera). Roughies, Red-tails, and Harriers kept us occupied until then. A fine ending to a long but rewarding day.