Apologies, looks like this thread was closed before I posted!  So if you
wish to respond, please contact me privately.

Best -

Alicia

On 3/21/2014 12:44 PM, Alicia Plotkin wrote:
> I agree completely with Mr. Voisine.  I don't know anyone who has
> participated in one of these shooting contests, but where I live lots
> of people hunt, and while they generally eat the venison or duck or
> turkey they kill, they can perfectly well afford to go to the
> supermarket for their meat, they don't need to hunt to eat. It's a
> sport, and they definitely prefer getting a 10 or 12 point buck to a 4
> point one for the bragging rights.  But this doesn't make them
> ignorant, crass, or otherwise violent people - they love the outdoors
> and they pay attention to the birds and animals around them, they just
> enjoy hunting and I don't think anyone should feel morally superior to
> them unless they are a vegetarian.  Moreover, I would match their
> knowledge of NYS wildlife with that of most people on this list.  They
> don't know the Latin names, but they can point out the Scarlet Tanager
> nest and notice when the cuckoos are back since they are out hunting
> turkeys then.  And please note they are not even necessarily members
> of the NRA or against banning assault rifles.
>
> I know this email has gone very far afield from bird talk, but if
> people understand hunters better, then this lobbying will be more
> likely to succeed.  Many, probably most, hunters would not lift a
> finger in support this crow shoot  - they probably won't be willing to
> speak out against it, but neither would they actively support it /-
> unless/ the discussion surrounding the lobbying makes them feel like
> hunting and hunters more generally are being disrespected.  So it
> would be helpful to understand that most hunters are in fact people
> you would enjoy meeting and talking with - and definitely taking a
> walk in the woods with - and your only dispute is with the few people
> who want to have these competitive body count events.  You shouldn't
> think of those people as hunters any more than you would think of the
> extremely competitive people who think nothing of crossing onto
> private property to twitch a rare bird as birders: technically you
> would be right in each case, but that label would be pretty misleading.
>
> Alicia
>

> On 3/21/2014 11:38 AM, Voisine, Matthew NAN02 wrote:
>> I think this subject is getting out of control but my experience is hunters
>> know EXACTLY what the species is that they are hunting. The conversation is
>> beginning to criticize hunters unduly.
>>
>> Whether they know about something that they are not hunting is another story
>> and not really relevant
>>
>> Matthew Voisine
>> Biologist
>> USACE- NY District
>> 26 Federal Plaza
>> Room 2151
>> NY, NY 10278
>> 917.790.8718 voice
>> 702.271.0496 mobile
>> 212.264.0961 fax
>> matthew.vois...@usace.army.mil

>>> 702.271.0496 mobile
>>> 212.264.0961 fax
>>> matthew.vois...@usace.army.mil

>>> Subject: [nysbirds-l] Press release

>>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

>>> 1)http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
>>> 2)http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
>>>
>>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> --

>>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
>>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
>>>
>>> ARCHIVES:
>>> 1)http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
>>> 2)http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
>>>
>>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>> --
>> Subscribe, Configuration and
>> Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
>>
>> Archives:
>> The Mail
>> Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
>> Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
>> Please submit your observations to eBird<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>  !
>> --
>>
>> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>> Caveats: NONE
>>

>> --

>> ARCHIVES:
>> 1)http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
>> 2)http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
>>
>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>>
>> --

---
is active.