I guess we should be mindful of where we "find a bush" and not

treat these animals as creatures of a wildlife reality show. They deserve and
require respect.

________________________________
 From: Rick <rc...@nyc.rr.com>
To: 'Steve Walter' <swalte...@verizon.net>; NYSBIRDS-L <NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2014 8:22 PM
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Rattlesnake at Doodletown

Don’t pet them indeed. That’s how most people get bitten, esp. after some
imbibing:

Approximately 40 percent of all snakebites occur in people who are handling or
playing with snakes, and 40 percent of all people bitten had a blood alcohol
level of greater than 0.1 percent. Sixty-five percent of snakebites occur on
the hand or fingers, 24 percent on the foot or ankle, and 11 percent elsewhere.
One case was reported of a snakebite on the glans penis.