I haven't yet seen a photo of the rattlesnake from this weekend, but I photographed this one on Lemmon Road on May 15, 2009. http://ardithbondi.com/pictures/slide1717.jpg

Same family? It's a pretty colored Timber Rattler.

Ardith Bondi

On 5/26/14 8:22 PM, Rick wrote:
Don’t pet them indeed. That’s how most people get bitten, esp. after
some imbibing:

Approximately 40 percent of all snakebites occur in people who are
handling or playing with snakes, and 40 percent of all people bitten had
a blood alcohol level of greater than 0.1 percent. Sixty-five percent of
snakebites occur on the hand or fingers, 24 percent on the foot or
ankle, and 11 percent elsewhere. One case was reported of a snakebite on
the glans penis.

Read more:
http://www.gorp.com/weekend-guide/travel-ta-snake-bite-faq-sidwcmdev_053475.html#ixzz32s2uANB1

*From:*Steve Walter [mailto:swalte...@verizon.net]
*Sent:* Monday, May 26, 2014 7:54 PM
*To:* 'Rick'
*Subject:* RE: [nysbirds-l] Rattlesnake at Doodletown

So like don’t pet them.

*From:*bounce-115943024-8873...@list.cornell.edu
<mailto:bounce-115943024-8873...@list.cornell.edu>
[mailto:bounce-115943024-8873...@list.cornell.edu] *On Behalf Of *Rick
*Sent:* Monday, May 26, 2014 7:50 PM
*To:* 'Claudia Peretti'; 'Robert Lewis'; 'NYSBirds'

These rattlesnakes (probably the same pair) have been at that site for
many years, plus their progeny. They are venerable citizens of the property.

Just one request, be careful when walking in the area, but please LEAVE
THEM ALONE.

Thanks,

Rick Cech

P.S. One time a few years back a female birder was squatting for a
moment off the trail and found herself right on top of one of the snakes
(no problem experienced, other than the shock).

I was photographing one of the pair a few years back and was surprised
that when I heard the rattle I didn’t see it in my viewfinder. That’s
because the other member of the senior pair was about 5’ off my left
foot, perhaps displeased he/she wasn’t included in the photo. (Again, no
ill effects.)