I spent about 3.5 hours out in the yard this morning searching for any migrants
that might pass ahead of the rain that was forecast to fall in the morning.
One of the first birds I saw (around 7 AM, which was 10 minutes after sunrise,
local time) was a Sharp-shinned Hawk that had attracted the attention of a
number of American Crows.  The Sharpie was doing small loops over my house
about 50 feet up, and there were 3 Crows that were kind of following it around.
 With each pass, it seemed that more crows would gather around the hawk until
there were 8 of them following the Sharpie around.  A few of the crows would
dive at the hawk, and the hawk would return the favor, but neither really
seemed too intent on doing any damage, and after a few minutes, the Sharpie
passed on and the crows dispersed.

Just as I have noticed in the past few Septembers, there was a significant
movement of Blue Jays this morning over my house.  They passed over in multiple
waves and at several different elevations, with most moving east to west, which
is typical of Fall migration movement here at this end of Oneida Lake.  A few,
however, were moving west to east, which I thought was odd, but I am pretty
sure that most of those eventually turned themselves around and moved in the
right direction.  Anyway, in a little over 3 hours, I counted 1,309 Blue Jays
pass by.   The only other species moving in any numbers this morning were
Monarch butterflies – I counted 26 of them within the same time span.

Otherwise, the only other migrants I came across today were 1 White-throated
Sparrow, 1 Black-and-White Warbler, another Sharp-shinned Hawk, a Red-eyed
Vireo, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and 1 Great Blue Heron.  I did have a flock of
15 Cedar Waxwings fly over too, but I think they were local birds.

Later in the afternoon, around 4:30, there was an Osprey and 2 Bald Eagles
flying just ahead of the line of showers associated with the cold front that
finally passed through the area.

Mickey Scilingo
Constantia
Oswego County, NY