Shai {et al},

Perhaps unbeknownst to you, I amongst a few others have been on the lookout for the Little Egret.  If I had been successful, I would have reported it to the list as I always do with sightings of merit.  So short of reported successes it escapes me how one might determine whether or not folks are trying, or why you have concluded birders are not.

Of course, if a bird is not in an accessible location, one's hands are tied. Given the very limited vantage points near to Gardeners park I am not sure what more could be done by fellow birders,  or what you are/were expecting.

A stop I made at Captree Island on June 18 to look for this bird was unsuccessful but I was nevertheless rewarded by finding a White-faced Ibis. You as well as others took advantage of my discovery that very day so I was gratified that others were able to see another good bird.

That's why I do not understand why there is disparagement of 'chasing' bird reports. You do it.  We all do it.  Why else have a "Rare Bird Alert"?
So some chose to bird where they see something of interest, while some ignore places devoid of reports. This makes more sense the further the birds are from you. Who wants to shlep all the way out to any bird if they do not have a reasonable assurance that it will not be a wasted trip? I can sympathize with the reluctance. And not everyone has the same amount of free time!

As birders we appreciate those who report to ebird, or on the NY list, or when someone posts to the NY list on behalf of another from their phone call. But what good is it if one is made to feel guilty for actually using that information?

I am not at all ashamed of chasing birds, and take umbrage at the suggestion that it is somehow 'less worthwhile' than "pure searching".  Recall that chasing sometimes results in other discoveries AKA the Patagonia Picnic Table Effect.   **Reports Beget Reports**

I believe its a bad idea to go down the road of what can be described as "elitist birding" where we criticize others for not birding according to some arbitrary standard: be it that they chase ebird reports, that they are not a 'green birder' replete with concomitant consumption of tofu and wheat grass,  or for their not knowing the difference between juvenal and juvenile.  Not all birders are the same; nor should they be. That's just the way it is.

So it is my hope that we can instead **encourage more birders in NYS to post reports of good sightings** rather than bemoaning those who do not conform to some 'standard'.  And not just here in region 10, but all over NYS. I would love to see reports from elsewhere!

Finally, I have a kayak and have been exploring the south shore. I have avoided the Captree vicinity due to boat traffic and tidal currents, but now that you have shared your information, I may yet do so.

PS I saw juvenile Laughing Gulls at Cupsogue last week, as well as a few Red Knot amongst not much else of note. Not anything like last year at all.

Arie Gilbert
North Babylon, NY

WWW.Powerbirder.blogspot.com
 WWW.qcbirdclub.org