While the compilation of data from observation may be useful in studying the
behavior of birders, the very behavior being studied may be a consequence of
the ways in which data is used.  The shift toward chasing rarities may not
relate to changes in human motivation or culture.  Rather, I suspect it is a
direct result of better access to data, namely the rapid reporting and
retrieval of birding information due to the proliferation of smart phones and
use of list serves.

On a personal note, I have always been appreciative of the welcoming nature of
the birding community and its generosity in sharing information and advice.  In
fact, both Shai and Andrew have been amongst the most giving in this regard,
for which the community is certainly grateful. Nevertheless, while I can
understand how frustration can evoke negative feelings, a public broadcasting
of disappointment with the behavior of a generous community is more apt to
elicit resentment than a positive result.  Public encouragement works better
than criticism, for family members, fellow birders, and possibly even for
photographers.  (Though perhaps not for cat lovers.)

Happy summer birding,

Peter

     On Saturday, August 1, 2015 7:52 AM, Shaibal Mitra