10th Annual Jamaica Bay Shorebird Festival

Come join us this Saturday August 29th for the Jamaica Bay Shorebird
Festival sponsored by NYC Audubon, Gateway National Recreation Area,
 American Littoral Society and your hosts Don Riepe, Kevin Karlson and
Lloyd Spitalnik.

We’ll meet at the visitor’s center located in Broad Channel, Queens, NY at
7:30am.

There will be coffee and snacks before we start the festivities.

At about 8am there will be a field trip to the East Pond where you’ll be
able to learn about these long distance migrants as they make  their return
trip  from the breeding grounds up north. We should see Least Sandpiper,
Semipalmated Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, Black-bellied Plover, Lesser
and Greater Yellowlegs and Short-billed Dowitcher. Other species are
usually there as well. We’ll probably have a few surprise visitors.

After the walk we’ll have a few indoor presentations. An hour break for
lunch and then another guided walk. Stay for the final presentation given
by Kevin Karlson. He is a co-author of the Shorebird Guide. It’s the best
guide book for identifying these challenging critters. His talk will be on
his new book “Birding by Impression.

Although the event is free we urge you to contribute a nominal $20.00 to
help defray the costs for putting on the festival.

You should wear a pair of boots or old shoes you don’t care about getting
dirty. Bring binoculars and a spotting scope if you have them. A camera
with a 300mm or larger lens is optional.

Hope to see you there.

--
All the best,
Lloyd