Central Park NYC - North End
Monday, July 4, 2016
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob. on bird walk starting from the
Conservatory Garden at 9am.

It seems that the moderate northwest winds overnight Thursday & Friday
delivered another warbler: a Worm-eating Warbler we spotted at the Wildflower
Meadow at around 8:15am. Worm-eating Warblers are notoriously early fall
migrants. Our earliest date for a southbound bird is a Worm-eating Warbler we
found at the Maintenance Field July 1, 2012. We saw two other species of Wood
Warblers this morning: Northern Parula (female) around 8:20am at the Wildflower
Meadow and later at the Loch, and Black-and-white Warbler (hatch-year male) at
the Great Hill.

Double-crested Cormorant - many flyovers
Great Blue Heron - flyover Meer
Great Egret - many flyovers
Snowy Egret - flyover
Herring Gull - flyovers
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift - flyovers
Red-bellied Woodpecker - male Wildflower Meadow
Downy Woodpecker - male Wildflower Meadow, Loch
Northern Flicker - male Wildflower Meadow
Eastern Kingbird - female Wildflower Meadow
Warbling Vireo - Conservatory Garden, Wildflower Meadow
Red-eyed Vireo - singing Great Hill
Blue Jay
Crow species - over Wildflower Meadow (silent)
Barn Swallow - overhead at the Meer
White-breasted Nuthatch - adult male Wildflower Meadow
House Wren - Green Bench
Gray Catbird - several locations
Northern Mockingbird - Wildflower Meadow
Cedar Waxwing - 3 near Nutter's Battery, Green Bench, Wildflower Meadow
Worm-eating Warbler - singing male Wildflower 8:15am (Bob & Deb before walk)
Black-and-white Warbler - hatch-year male wooded slope of Great Hill
Northern Parula - female Wildflower Meadow (Bob & Deb before walk), reappeared
at the Loch (Gillian Henry, MD)
White-throated Sparrow - molting into basic (winter) plumage Wildflower Meadow
Song Sparrow - before walk Conservatory Garden
'Northern Cardinal - several locations
Red-winged Blackbird - 3 males, female - Meer
Common Grackle - various locations, adult with two noisy juveniles Meer Island
Orchard Oriole - second-year male getting some red on the breast at the Loch
(Wakako Matsushita)
Baltimore Oriole - several locations
House Finch - 3 near Nutter's Battery, male Wildflower Meadow

No sign of the two Wood Thrushes that had been at the Loch until late June.

Deb Allen