Tom Burke and I started the day with a sea watch off of Robert Moses State
Park beginning @ 8 am.  The three-hour watch was slow, notable only for one
Sooty Shearwater (seen twice)  and one Cory's as pelagic birds.
We drove east to Dune Road and a stop at Tiana Beach yielded 140
Short-billed Dowitchers including a single bird of the Prairie race (
hendersoni). Other  shorebirds included a few Least Sandpipers and one
Semipalmated Sandpiper, a few Black-bellied and Piping Plovers, one Greater
Yellowlegs, and numerous Willets and American Oystercatchers.  One Roseate
Tern was present with the Common and Least Terns gathered there.
We resumed our sea watch at Shinnecock Inlet, yielding more pelagic birds -
a dozen Shearwaters working in 2 groups and appearing to be Cory's, 2
Wilson's Storm-Petrels, and 7 Northern Gannets.  After three hours there we
moved to Cupsogue where there were many hundreds of birds on the bay side
(Gulls, Terns,  Cormorants and shorebirds) but nothing unusual including no
Pelicans. On the ocean we could see a large gathering of birds to the east
so we relocated to Pike's Beach and resumed the watch. Here
we saw 16  Shearwaters appearing to be all Cory's, other Shearwaters were
left unidentified as the visibility waned, 1 Wilson's Storm-Petrel, and 4
Northern Gannets. We left at @ 7 PM.
Gail Benson