Jones Beach West End 26 Nov

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) went to look for the Longspur reported.  Upon
arriving at the Coast Guard Station parking lot, we were alerted to a NORTHERN
GOSHAWK.  We walked down the road toward the turnaround, looking into the
median where the bird was reported. We spotted the raptor in the large
deciduous tree in the middle. Nice scope views and distance photos from the road

Returning to our cars, we  drove to West End #2.and walked down the swale. A
large flock of HORNED LARKS was feeding, but no Longspur.

A SNOWY OWL had been reported on the beach yesterday, so we turned towards the
jetty. No luck by us or others converging on the beach, but we did turn up a
flock of about 75 SNOW BUNTINGS, Meanwhile some one spotted the owl in the
opposite direction. We looked, we saw, and called it a successful morning
birding.

Sy