I agree with Shai, eloquently and succinctly expressed, as always.

Hope you all enjoy this beautiful day!
 Annie

-----Original Message-----
From: bounce-121044984-10774...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-121044984-10774...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Shaibal Mitra
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:28 PM
To: NYSBIRDS (NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu)
Subject: [nysbirds-l] The NYSBirds List

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or
click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

Hi everyone,

In theory there are two ways to reform the content of this listserv: (1)
discourage posts that are less relevant; and (2) encourage posts that are more
relevant.

But given the very diverse sentiments expressed here in recent weeks, it's
clear that people simply disagree about what is relevant. But criticizing
certain kinds of posts is doubly harmful: not only is it demonstrably
ineffective in reducing the frequency of the unwanted posts, whatever they may
be in a particular instance, but it also discourages contributions from newer
participants and those who don't appreciate being criticized. In other words,
this ineffective tactic inadvertently conflicts with and damages the prospects
for the only other means of improving the forum. I agree with those who have
emphasized that neither the overall volume of reports, nor the proportion of
what any one individual might regard as chaff, is ever great enough to
discourage me from sifting this site every day for items of personal interest.

These considerations came to mind recently when I overheard some Long Island
birders debating whether to chase an Ash-throated Flycatcher (to me very rare)
vs. "the Red Crossbill" (to me periodically ubiquitous). At this stage in my
life, I'd much rather read a post from Tim Healy or Steve Walter about the
tempo and mode of a day's migration than a how-to guide to chasing "the Red
Crossbill." But I understand that some newer birders might actually have seen
more Ash-throated Flycatchers than Red Crossbills, even though this is utterly
contrary to my own development as a birder. And all of this is what makes
birding, and NYSBirds, so wonderful--not only can we find how-to information
for chasing (arguably) rare birds, but we are also offered insights into other
people's perspectives and values. Please post more!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore