Finding myself with a bit of free time early this afternoon, I headed down
toward Dune Rd. where I birded between the Post La. Bridge, Quogue and
Shinnicock Inlet, Hampton Bays, Suffolk, Co.

The only birds of note were 5 separate, female-plumaged N.Harriers (3
hunting, while the other 2 were on the marsh, though not actively feeding)
as well as, a bird that was probably a Peregrine Falcon. This raptor had
the specie's size and shape, but was facing away from me, plus the lighting
was very poor. The bird was perched on the osprey nest (but not on the
platform) just east of the entrance road to the old Ponquogue Bridge. It
was resting below the platform, on one of the supports which secure it to
it's vertical "pole". After a short while, the bird dropped down and out of
sight. I tried viewing it from a couple of spots to the east, without
success.

Arriving at the inlet, I met Gary Straus, and learned of his seeing a Snowy
Owl earlier at a location I had just visited...without finding it ! He
graciously escorted me back, and sure enough, *Nyctea scandiaca* awaited us
! How I missed it, I can't say - what I can say, however, is at least I was
able to help Gary get one of his target birds for his "Year List" ! As we
were talking at the inlet (he looking west, while I was looking at the
inlet) he also mentioned his "misses" of the day, with Common Eider leading
the parade. Just then, as if on cue, 2 male eiders ( an adult & a sub )went
by, which I alerted him to, in time for him to get !

On my way home, I took the same way back, without seeing a single N.Harrier.

Cheers,
Bob