Central Park, NYC
Sunday March 5, 2017
Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob. on bird walk starting from the
Boathouse at 9:30am

Highlights on a windy & cold day: Central Park:Red-headed Woodpecker, Fox
Sparrows, and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.

Central Park notes include a brief walk along the south end of the Reservoir
before the walk (DA).

Canada Goose - Reservoir & Lake
American Black Duck - 2 Reservoir
Mallard - 55+ Reservoir
Northern Shoveler - at least 60 Lake
Bufflehead - 3 Reservoir
Ruddy Duck - around 60 SW Reservoir
Mourning Dove - a few under feeders
Herring Gull - 2 Reservoir (no other gulls observed there at 8am)
Cooper's Hawk - immature male
Red-tailed Hawk - 2 (Pine Hill & feeders)
Red-headed Woodpecker - first-winter bird continues at the Dene (inside the
park at about E. 68th Street)
Red-bellied Woodpecker - residents
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 4 at 3 locations
Downy Woodpecker - stealing some sap
Blue Jay - many
Black-capped Chickadee - several
Tufted Titmouse - 24
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch - feeders & elsewhere
Brown Creeper - east side of Belvedere Castle (Bruno Boni)
American Robin - small numbers
House Finch - at least 6 feeders
American Goldfinch - 2
Fox Sparrow - 3 south of Azalea Pond
Song Sparrow - 2 (one singing at Bow Bridge)
White-throated Sparrow - many
Northern Cardinal - residents
Common Grackle - at least 70 Shakespeare Garden

--

On Saturday (March 4th) a Long-eared Owl reported on ebird.org by David Barrett
was seen by many observers in Central Park. One of the birds that came in to

--

Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx
Sunday March 5, 2017

Three Eastern Screech-Owls were present in two different parts of the park
Sunday evening, one of these heard-only, the other two birds were both
gray-morphs that perched close together. We did not see the red-morph owl that
we found on our last visit two weeks ago.

Numbers of Canada Geese on the Parade Ground have dropped-off dramatically.

Deb Allen