Sorry for the cross post, but thought this was relevant to both lists.  We
just passed a bird, swimming, that looked like a shearwater. I have no idea
what kind would be around here. Location is The Race in Long Island Sound,
near Little Gull Island. Had a white throat and dark bill, very dark brown
bird overall but the white seemed very crisp to me. Found the binos, saw it
flying away, very low to the water, it would flap twice, glide, flap,
twice, glide. Looked dark from behind, finally lost it against Big Gull
Island, it was headed west. My best guess is Great Shearwater but I don't
know pelagic species. Anyone have any ideas?

Julie Keefer
North Stonington