Fred and any others interested,

Two mute swans by you is no problem. Up to 65 can be seen on any given day on
Argyle Lake in Babylon.  It is a pond that is less than 1/4 mile in
circumference.  All other breeding waterfowl here have been eradicated by these
swans. Some migrant waterfowl use the pond but less than in the past. Few
dabbling ducks use it as swans have eaten all vegetation on the bottom of the
pond to as far as their long necks can reach.

Geese come and go in migration here, but the mute swans are a constant.  So I
would expect that the reason that DEC wants to control them is that they are an
invasive species that is destroying the local ecosystem and driving out native
species. Maybe not happening by you, but definitely happening here in western
Suffolk.

Non-birders are aware of this issue because it appeared in the newspapers when
the DEC came out and said they would start removing the swans. That typically
means shooting, trapping, poisoning, etc. Hardly anyone likes the idea of
culling these birds through cruel and inhumane ways (including me), so the
subject comes up for a debate that has reached beyond birders and wildlife
people from time to time.  My understanding is that egg oiling and similar
tactics are being used, or at least are up for discussion, to control the
population.

Since they are an invasive and destructive species, any connection that an
observer feels to wildlife by viewing feral mute swans is based entirely on a
lack of understanding of the natural world around them. You might have done
more for the guy you ran into today if you had told him that if it weren’t for
those swans, he might be seeing ten different species of waterfowl that they
have driven away.  Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I’d
prefer green-wing teal and pintails to those swans.

(And sociologically speaking, to me those swans represent the escaped stock of
early successful Americans anxious to imitate the “Lords of the Manor” in
Europe, who are the same folks that my Irish ancestors fled to America to get
away from.)

While stepping around goose droppings and occasionally having to hit the brakes
to allow a goose flock to cross the street is an inconvenience, I don’t think
it has nearly the adverse effect on the local environment that the swans have
had in my part of Long Island.

Thanks,
Tim Dunn
Sent from my iPhone