Steve and other sternid enthusiasts,

Isn’t second summer the term used for the immature aspect birds with white
foreheads and black bills? A freshly fledged juvenile would be living through
its first summer, so second summer individuals are yearlings, correct? If my
understanding of the nomenclature is accurate, the bird I found yesterday,
which matches Steve’s description and the photos of Tripper’s bird from Friday,
would be in its third summer or older. At a glance it looks like a classic
alternate plumage adult ARTE, but the faint darker smudging on the carpal bar
and the tail streamers that don’t extend beyond the folded wingtips indicate
that it is not fully mature. I saw a similarly marked individual at Nickerson
last year, and in 2015 I got a photo of an adult-like ARTE with a surprisingly
dark bill. The variation in age classes and species of terns is so fascinating.
I’ve learned a lot from these discussions about Arctics, Roseates, and the
mysterious dark Commons. Mornings and afternoons at the colonies and inlets are
one of my favorite parts of early summer here on Long Island.

Cheers!
-Tim H