I am glad to see an informed discussion about the apparent decline in
Bonaparte's Gulls both in western and coastal New York State. Birding forms
tend to focus on the positive such as new sightings, influxes, and
weather-related events, with much less attention given to species that
might be disappearing before our eyes. The human brain is not very good at
accessing the absence of something and birding record systems are seemingly
not much better either.

Aside from Bonaparte's Gull, I have wondered about the status of America
Golden-Plover in the state. In the past several years I've noted few if any
reports of larger flocks that would draw birders to sod fields and other
grassy habitats in the fall, especially in eastern Long Island. In recent
years only a scattering of Golden-Plovers have been reported in the fall
(principally from late August to late October), rarely more than two
together. Many people may have successfully ticked their 'year bird' and
not given much more thought to it but the reality is that we probably are
all ticking the SAME few birds.

Looking at the tallies for some of the hotspots for southbound plovers it
was not long ago that flocks of 60-100+ were frequent in and around
Riverhead (Suffolk NY). 2016 seems to have been the last good season (many
reports of 60+), with 2012 and 2013 similarly featuring some larger flocks
(counts of 102, 105, etc). Is something going on? Is the apparent decline
in birds staging on eastern Long Island echoed elsewhere?

American Golden-Plover is an arctic and subarctic tundra nesting species
that makes a long oceanic flight (a minimum of 2,400 miles nonstop) to
wintering grounds in the Pampas and Campos regions of southern South
America. It is possible that weather conditions have allowed birds to
launch from further north and simply bypass our area. Scrutiny of trends in
the Canadian Maritime Provinces and New England or the
Mississippi/Missouri/Ohio flyway (if the southbound route has shifted
towards the center of the continent) might shed light on this. Changes in
pesticide use might also render the Long Island sod fields less attractive
such that birds arriving at night leave soon after.

It's worth noting that aside from a possible shift in the migration route,
many high latitude breeding species undergo cycles of abundance that
reflect cycles in breeding success - these may relate to lemming cycles,
late snowmelt, and so on. It could be we are in the trough of one of these
cycles. Careful monitoring of the relative numbers of juveniles/1st basic
and adults (estimating the ratio from year to year) can give warnings of
these changes. This could also be done fairly easily with Bonaparte's Gulls
because these two age classes are easy to distinguish. Unfortunately,
relatively few birders keep notes on these things and again there's no
simple way that I can find to recover such information from eBird or other
record collections. Maybe folks on this list will have insight into how
best to use the available data in this regard.

All food for thought. Don't get me started on Upland Sandpiper......

--
Angus Wilson
New York City