Could it be the mass erection of wind farms in the central Plains? Many of
these shorebirds including AGPL  migrate up through the Plains in the spring.
With more and more wind farms and higher ones too in the Plains, could the
mortality of the breeding adults finally be showing up? I can imagine a whole
flock of shorebirds in a flooded muddy field surrounded by wind farms. A falcon
or other predator comes by and they fly right into the turbines. Weather
patterns could also be a big factor too as mentioned. I do hope it is the
latter. If it is not, many of our shorebirds (and other species) will be
imperiled by the growth of wind farms.
    On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 12:24:45 PM EDT, Larry Trachtenberg