Thank you all for your replies (here and directly to me) and the
references. I love that feather-play is a "swallow thing." The one I
watched varied its game, swooping in from all angles and approaches. Twice
it flew almost straight upwards until it was perhaps fifty feet off the
ground before releasing the feather.

I'm intrigued by the fact that one of the earlier reports also specifies a
large *white* feather; my guess is that, like yesterday's, it was a down
feather, which would float in the air much more satisfactorily than a
denser one.

I write essays on nature for a local Audubon Society. I think my next piece
will focus on bird play! Thanks again--
Joe