Gordon just got back to me. Yes, they changed the rules this year, and you
need the permit. Audubon, Linnaean and other groups are fighting this
unjust regulation.  Gordon doubts the new rule can be changed this season.
It also applies to the fisherman`s lot at the hotel area, part of Fort
Tilden. If there is any action to be taken, we will know about it from the
organizations representing us. I know. It is not right. It is also about
money. The fishermen they say are complaining they have no parking space.
>From my experience that is not true. There are always lots of empty spots.
I was planning to go, but we cannot.

Maybe one member of the group can drop the others off and then if another
driver in the car. The original driver comes back, and the second driver
gives the first driver a little time on the beach. The rest can go back to
the main area, and then later pick up the original driver., complicated,
but possible, Bird different areas and take turns.