Hi all,

We studied the yellow-legged Larus at Old Field Point again yesterday, 27 Feb
2022. For convenience, here are links to some checklists with useful photos and
descriptions of the bird:

https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S103596988
https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S103599196
https://ebird.org/checklist/S103599677
https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S103711048
https://ebird.org/checklist/S103758350
https://ebird.org/checklist/S103798052
https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S103770855
https://ebird.org/checklist/S103820434
https://ebird.org/checklist/S103880419

I’m increasingly convinced that this gull is a European L. a. argentatus. There
are many serious obstacles to the alternative interpretations.

The extent of white on P10 and P9, the restricted amount of black on PP6-8, the
absence of black on P5, and the large size of the apical spots on all these
feathers strongly counter-indicate Lesser Black-backed Gull, its potential
hybrids with various Herring-type taxa, Yellow-legged Gull, Caspian Gull, and
also most “Herring Gulls” (e.g., western/interior North American L. a.
smithsonianus and European L. a. argenteus). These features of the wingtip are
most consistent with northeastern North American smithsonianus (which is
locally abundant) and vagrant argentatus (not yet documented in New York, but
with records from Newfoundland). Published resources and series of photographs
from known sites and dates indicate that the wingtip pattern wherein these two
taxa approach each other most closely is very similar to that of the Old Field
Point bird. There are several very subtle distinctions in primary pattern
between the two taxa, and the assessment of these in the Old Field Point bird
seems to me to be the primary remaining task (see below).

But even if this bird’s wingtip pattern is equivocal, it must be noted that it
shows numerous other characters that closely match birds from the northern
breeding areas of L. a. argentatus, and that specifically point away from L. a.
smithsonianus:

1.      Mantle tone. The bird’s mantle is definitely slightly darker than in
smithsonianus, the pale tone of which is extremely consistent and not prone to
variation (one could examine a thousand breeding Herring Gulls on Long Island
without finding a single bird approaching the mantle tone of the Old Field
Point bird. Conversely, argentatus is darker than smithsonianus and argenteus,
is furthermore described as being variable, and includes populations described
as closely resembling Yellow-legged Gull in mantle tone (and other features,
see next).
2.      Leg color. The bird’s legs and feet are yellow, which is atypical (but
not unknown) for smithsonianus, but quite typical for populations of argentatus
in the northern and eastern parts of its breeding range. Birds with varying
amounts of yellow in the legs and feet occur among smithsonianus more
frequently than do birds with noticeably dark mantles, but very rarely approach
the condition shown by the Old Field Point bird. in contrast, this feature is
common in the very populations of argentatus that match the Old Field Point
bird most closely in terms of wingtip pattern and mantle color.
3.      Bill pattern. The bill is intensely orange, lacks black markings, and
shows an elongated red gonys spot. The former point is probably equivocal, as
it covaries with leg color in variant smithsonianus:

https://flic.kr/p/T15pGz

But the large gonys spot is possibly important, as it definitely points away
from smithsonianus. On Long Island, we are accustomed to interpreting an
elongated red gonys spot as indicative of Lesser Black-backed Gull, and this
was a source of confusion in initial assessments of the present bird.
Interestingly, this feature is apparently not unexpected among those argentatus
that most resemble the OFP bird (dark-mantled, bright-billed, and restricted
black in the wingtip):

http://www.gull-research.org/hg/hg5cy/adapr47.html

4.      Orbital ring. The orbital ring appears to be red based on photos and
some descriptions, though I have not been able to confirm this fully to my own
satisfaction. If so, this points strongly away from smithsonianus, but again,
it is expected, in correlation with all the characters discussed above, among
northern argentatus.

Before concluding with a brief description of our remaining work regarding the
minutiae of the wingtip pattern, I feel the need to emphasize again that this
bird’s resemblance to a hybrid LBBG x HERG in several ways (mantle tone, leg
color, and gonys spot) is nevertheless superficial. For one thing, the bright
yellow leg color is brighter than that observed in putative hybrids. But more
importantly, its overall structure is Herring-like, and its wingtip pattern is
at the extreme end of variation in smithsonianus, in the direction away from,
not toward, the condition in Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Here is what remains to be done:

5.      Nail down the color of the orbital ring and gape.
6.      The shape of the large, broken mirror on P9 is distinctive—what does it
mean? (Example of a similar wingtip and details of p9 from Belgium 1 Mar:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/212753731)
7.      Do the lengths or shapes of the pale tongues in PP7-8 favor either
taxon?
8.      The black band on P6 shows a very slight W shape. This is ascribed to
smithsonianus but is readily found in photos of European Herring Gulls, at
least of ssp. argenteus:

http://www.gull-research.org/hg/hg5cy/adfeb66.html

For the sake of thoroughness, these points should be resolved and assessed with
regard to northeastern smithsonianus vs. northern argentatus. But it seems to
me that characters 5-8 could only weakly support smithsonianus or
counter-indicate argentatus, whereas characters 1-3 pose very serious obstacles
for smithsonianus and match northern argentatus to a surprisingly detailed
degree.

Finally, in going back through my photos of variant Herring and Great
Black-backed Gulls with yellow legs, I found another bird (from 3 May 2014)
that is suggestive of argentatus:

https://flic.kr/p/RV27qh

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore