I am once again writing to request your help and record Mourning Warbler
songs from spring migrants.It is year 8 of my research using birdsong to
study migratory connectivity of Mourning Warbler song populations.Here
is a link to the latest map with previous years’ results based on
recordings from over 150 birders.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&ll=38.892516009880424%2C-85.09712735&z=5

<https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&ll=38.892516009880424%2C-85.09712735&z=5>

There is also a link to a spring 2017 National Audubon Society story on
this research.

Audubon Society reporting

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

These preliminary results continue to suggest moderate to low
connectivity during migration with Western breeders separating from the
rest of the other song populations.Eastern, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland
song populations travel together along the Appalachian Mountains at
least into Maine with some birds heading to the Atlantic Coast beginning
in Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey.

All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some
luck.Videos with recordings are also helpful.The web page link below
describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in
more detail.Please send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound
Lab (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this
Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Professor Emeritus, Biology Department

Saint Anselm College