I didn't get any responses yet.  Am trying again with more information.
If some guru out there has an answer, I would really appreciate a
response.  I'm including a part of the web server logs that shows the
message I am talking about.   After a few calls the connections seem to
spontaneously close.  Is this an HSQL issue?  Something known?

Thanks in advance
Raghavan

--------WEB SERVER LOG SEGMENT-------------
Validation query for connection failed, discard connection. Query was
select count(*) from role, Message was Connection is closed 13-Feb-2004
12:07:40 INFO  [  CPS-Promotion]
slayer.ConnectionFactoryPooledImpl
Destroy object was called, try to close connection:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
13-Feb-2004 12:07:40 WARN  [  CPS-Promotion]