From: Brian McCallister [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 13 April 2004 13:17
To: OJB Users List
Subject: Re: Newbie Question : OTM or ODMG

Huh, the ODMG slower thing is interesting as Armin just reemed us all
out for letting the OTM get so much slower than ODMG ;-)

Right now there are a couple hidden nasties in the OTM -- I like the
OTM a lot (if just so that I can do a query by identity without casting
to a TransactionImpl) but it is a little bit less than mature at the
moment. It is definately in the unstable category for 1.0.

Oleg is in the process of doing a major factoring job on parts of it to
clean it up and fix a couple bugs (otm-dependent proxied collections
not detecting deletes unless an explicit write lock is obtained on the
parent is a particularly unpleasant one for me).

I will personally still be using OTM for my development, but we just
switched from OTM to ODMG for major app in development where I work
because of the relative maturity of the chunks of code. I hope to
switch back to OTM in the not-too-distant future (or to JDO as it is
shaping up to be a very thin wrapper around the OTM, and it isn't
really a bad API from the client side, don't get me started on
javax.jdo.spi though ;-) Providing a facade to swap between ODMG and
OTM is pretty straightforward as the OTM can handle OQL style queries.

-Brian