Hello,

I am a college student planning to contribute to KDE for GSoC '23, by
taking on the task of improving Okular on Android. I have the following
questions:

1.  What will be the use case of implementing the Android AFontMatcher
    font API?

    Initially I had tested a .pdf file in Okular for Android, and the
    text in that file did not load at all. So I assumed that this API
    would help to find the correct fonts in such situations, so that
    text content could be properly shown.

    However, now I am not sure - I tried some other pdfs with text,
    and all of them rendered the text correctly. The issue with font
    rendering only occurs when viewing the earlier mentioned pdf file.
    If I use the "Print to file" option to create a duplicate of the
    problematic pdf, the duplicated pdf loads correctly on Okular for
    Android. Weirdly enough, the same problematic pdf renders correctly
    when opened in desktop Okular.

2.  Since the AFontMatcher API will be implemented in the Poppler backend,
    I was wondering in which files/directories the programming work
    would be done.

    Initially I assumed work would be done in the generator/poppler
    directory of the Okular repo, but that turned out to be incorrect.

    After some digging, I stumbled upon the freedesktop Poppler repo,
    (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler and it contains)
    the code files for the Qt5 Poppler interface. I'm guessing the work
    will be done here?

3.  This is a bit off-topic, but why is the pdf mentioned above having
    trouble with text rendering? All other pdfs with text content render
    correctly, but only this specific file has trouble with loading on
    Android Okular but it gets shown correctly everywhere else, including
    other pdf viewers on Android. I can send the pdf if someone
    would like to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Shivodit
  • [no subject] Shivodit