[Winona Online Democracy]

certainly.
First of all, I have always been astounded by the level of ignorance that
can accompany strong grades.  A GPA is not the only, and I would argue not
the best, measure of academic aptitude.  I do not know what the grades of
the students I mentioned were precisely, but the one who placed Thomas
Jefferson in the Civil War, for example, I recognized as frequently present
on honor rolls and in other honors given for academic strength.
Second, the problem, as I said, does not come from athletic participation
directly.  Rather, it comes from treating athletics as anything but less
important than academics.  A great many student athletes come to school with
the attitude that they are there to play their respective games, an attitude
not dispelled by large parts of the faculty, the administration, and events
like Homecoming in which, as I mentioned, students are taken out of their
classes for the purpose of celebrating one or another of the school's
athletic teams.  If put in their proper place, sports are not a threat.
However, they are not being put in their proper place, and as a result I go
to school with too many happily undereducated sports stars.  I am skeptical,
though, about the ability of the environment to correct this problem without
doing away with a lot of the school-sponsored actvities involving athletics.
In many European countries, the idea of a school maintaining an athletic
team is largely unheard of, and last I checked many of their educational
systems were doing better than ours.