On Nov.6 the overcast skies did not allow us to hone in on the details of a
"mystery swallow". Today's morning sun gave Jim Fairchild, Karl Jennewein,
Dan Kaczynski and I superb opportunities to view the bird as it flew many
times around the wetland; indeed it sat three times on the tops of cattails
not far away, enabling us to see with scopes the following features-- pale
orange rump, pale orange throat, the colour extending around the neck, black
cap AND dark forehead-- unmistakenly a CAVE SWALLOW-- many people were
called, many arrived to see it (I do not know whether anyone saw him after
2PM).

While viewing the migrating hawks Dennis Barry called out a possible
SHORT-EARED OWL coming westward from the willow barrier beach-- sure enough
the bird flew low over us twice.

As if that was not enough--after 1PM 2 Peregrines equipped with antennae
came across on the same flight path-- might one of them be the "Richmond
Hill" falcon?

Finally--the raptor watch itself-- over 6 hours of cold westerly winds we
managed to count 80 migrants--incl. 45 Red-tailed, 3 Rough-legged, 1
Kestrel, 4 Peregrine, 1 Merlin, 4 Sharp-shinned and 2 NORTHERN GOSHAWKS.
Yesterday's juvenile BALD EAGLE made a fly-around several times.

Cranberry Marsh is at the south end of Hall's Rd., accessed from Victoria
St. in southwest Whitby,ON

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW

"Doug Lockrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.