Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
Timothy Normand Miller wrote:

time between when we place our order for 100 boards and when we get
(...)
leaves us with a $60000 bill to pay before we have any revenue, and

that makes one card = 600 USD ?

- The retail price is $1500, but the first 100 pre-orders will get a
$100 discount.  For deeper discounts, you can put in a request with
the OHF.  There are two discount levels, $1000 and $700 (depending on
your level of involvement in the OGP), but we are placing strict
limits on them.  (If we can get all 100 pre-orders, the deepest
discount will probably go down to $600.)

so that's a...

900 USD profit margin...

or is there something I'm missing there ?
Or 900USD for time, shipping, handling, testing, first prototype cost and some basic working code... Also in that you need the factor in the need for some money to bootstrap the chip production who is near 1 or 2 millions. So for a card with all the feature there is, 1500$ for corporate user it is rather cheap. For the developer the cost of 1000$ or 700$ is rather step for some but for that kind of hardware it is still expected to cost that much or even more.

You need to remember the goal of transversal is to make money to pay it's employee, OGP goal is to make a open graphics core. OHF goal is to enable some openness in the hardware market for computer part. That card is another step for everyone goal.