Dieter wrote:
- OGD1 is for hardware hackers.  This isn't just about graphics.  If
all you wanted was a graphics card that worked with Free Software,
we've had that for a long time with Matrox, for some time with Intel,
and most recently and significantly with ATI.

And VIA has very recently (announced on Tuesday) seen the light, although
I don't think they have released any docs yet.

All this makes me wonder about the market for OGC.  Will it have enough
unique features to sell, given the new competition?

- Some technical stuff:  The TV chip still has not been tested.  It's
probably just fine, but we don't know for sure.

$1500 for untested hardware.  Hmmm....

I've been looking at the data sheet, and they talk about 800x600 and
1024x768.  But s-video out is either x480 for NTSC or x576 for PAL/SECAM
(right?).  Do they scale 800x600 and 1024x768 down to fit, or what?

One thing I've been trying to figure out is the maximum horizontal
resolution for s-video.  The standard is 720x480 (or x576), but there
isn't any hard limit, and some analog TVs can go much higher.  Can a
"normal" (e.g. ATI) graphics card output, say, 1600x480 to s-video?
If not, can OGD & OGC do it and make that a selling point?

So, to partially reiterate, here's what we need to produce:

- Articles and interviews
- An electronic brochure
- Web pages with detailed information
- Publicity info about OGP, OHF, etc.
- A convincing argument that will make every FOSS enthusiast want to
buy an OGD1 board.

- Documentation
        hardware
                pinouts for the expansion connector(s) I assume the
                missing one can be added by the user?

                Voltages, min/max temp, humidity, and such

        software
                How does the end user program the thing?  Provide a
                simple "Hello, World!" type example.

The ideal "Hello, World!" would be a plain vga card with no pipelining
and stuff. You just get a framebuffer you can access like any other
memory.

                Do the tools run on their preferred OS?

        Things to avoid doing so it doesn't become a paperweight.

        A clear warranty/return policy spelling out what happens
        when the user does manage to make a paperweight.

- Diagnostics

- A starter list of things one can use the board for (may require
  additional programming and/or hardware)

        - graphics card

        - FPGA projects (examples?)

        - high speed D/A outputs
                signal generator
                        sine, square, pulse, triangle, sawtooth, ...
                        ATSC
                        DVB-T
                        NTSC, PAL, SECAM
                        AM, FM
                        SSB, VSB
                        other?

        - PCI bus sniffer

        - what else?

- mailing list(s) and/or web forum(s) for users (seperate from the
  development forums)