On looking at the documentation for older vmware-guestd it shows
the option of specifying different commands for halt and reboot.

> /etc/vmware/vmware-guestd --halt-command <command>
> where <command> is the command to execute when ESX Server asks the guest
> service to halt the guest operating system.
> /etc/vmware/vmware-guestd --reboot-command <command>
> where <command> is the command to execute when ESX Server asks the guest
> service to reboot the guest operating system.

This is done in the /etc/vmware/dualconf.vm startup script.

I can't find anything about dualconf.vm in open-vm-tools and the two options
above are not even available for vmtoolsd.

I figured out that I can specify custom poweron-script, resume-script,
suspend-script, and poweroff-script in the [powerops] group of tools.conf
but the only arguments to these scripts is the powerop type.  Looking
at the source code I found some reference to halt and reboot but they
both end up pointing to the same poweroff script.

Of course I also see that I can just add custom user scripts to
the /etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d/ directory
and that is just what I'm doing now.  The problem of course is that
if my script does the power off at the end the reboot doesn't happen,
and if my script just completes a shutdown and then halts the
power is not "turned off".

James