Hi James,

On 06/24/2010 07:22 PM, James wrote:
> Of course I also see that I can just add custom user scripts to
> the /etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d/ directory
> and that is just what I'm doing now.  The problem of course is that
> if my script does the power off at the end the reboot doesn't happen,
> and if my script just completes a shutdown and then halts the
> power is not "turned off".

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

If you're just trying to run different things depending on whether power off or
reboot is happening, you're better off using the OS's own init/upstart/whatever
for it and not use open-vm-tools.

If you're tying to make sure the VM powers off when you shut down the VM from
the VMware UI, you may want to look at lib/system/systemLinux.c;
 currently it executes "shutdown -h" to shut down the VM, but I've seen cases
where that doesn't really turn the power off (you'd need "shutdown -P" for
those).

--
- Marcelo