If that's the case, then do Heimdal users need to bother with the
openafs-krb5 rpm at all?

I should point out that while I have already promised to *update* the QSG,
it can't be *fixed* without a lot more ongoing work (and I'm sure this is
obvious to everyone else).  I'm merely updating the sections that I have
found to be wrong during my own personal bootstrapping effort.